Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Fruit cocktail

It's funny how a thing as simple as a can of fruit cocktail can stir up so many memories as I spoon out a few pieces of fruit onto Grayson's tray.

I grew up eating this stuff at least every week. My kids don't eat it very often at all. I don't really have an answer as to why. I bought a can on sale to go in some jello that I never got around to making. 

My mom used to say that the grapes were gross. I used to think she was crazy but said "yay, more for me" now I agree with her and I have a moment of silent solidarity across the span of years and miles. 

My parents grew up in the age of canned food. I think about this as I pour out what the baby won't eat for his brothers. I think about how my kids are growing up in an age of instant food. Pouches, microwaves, the drive-thru. Good for sometimes but not for always. 

I have been really stressed-out lately. I have noticed how the first thing to go for me is healthy eating habits. I'm over here with my coffee and my Reece's pieces, trying to decide between hot dogs and frozen chicken fingers for dinner. 

I was talking to a friend about this today. We pushed our babies in swings and talked about our eating habits. About how imperfect we are and how far from our ideal. I told her that my newest motto has been "how can I make this 1% better?" She reminded me not to focus on what I'm taking out of my diet but what we are adding into it and I think she is wiser than she gives herself credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required