Saturday, March 5, 2016

bathroom renovation part 1

The other day Daniel was putting in some low energy bulbs and I asked if we were going to ask our landlord to reimburse us for the bulbs since they are the kind that are supposed to last years and years and the ones we had previously hadn't burned out or anything - Daniel said something about how he didn't really care one way or the other because of the energy savings we would get in the meantime. I feel like something clicked with me when he said that. 

The rental house we are living in now has been driving me crazy basically from week one. It has a lot of potential to be cute but a lot of the work that was done to renovate the house was done really carelessly, especially the latest paint job. It's awful.There are holes all over the walls and paint roller fuzziers everywhere. But I've been hesitant to do anything about it because I'm not confident about how long we'll be staying here and I hate putting in the work to fix rooms when I won't get any credit for it. Except for the satisfaction of having it look nice while we live here and that has finally started to mean something. 

At the same time I've been dreaming of buying a fixer-upper some day, and to be honest I'm kind of practicing now. 

So my very first project at our house is to replace the truly awful popcorn ceiling that has been falling down on us in pieces ever since we moved in nearly two years ago. I'm really not much of a handyman or a DIY queen. It took me several months to paint my girl's bedroom in the last home we owned. Their furniture stayed in the center of the room for weeks waiting for me to put on the second coat of paint. So this is kind of a big deal.

I read this tutorial which I thought was super helpful and I'll be referencing it several times.

Our ceiling has been flaking a little bit at a time for nearly two years. It's been seriously driving me crazy!! 
Step 1: Spray
The tutorial I linked above suggested spraying the whole room down first. I couldn't imagine doing that and just worked one small section at a time spraying a most of just plain water. It worked great for me.

Step 2: Scrape 
This is my daughter helping me scrape the popcorn ceiling off with a plastic spatula. It worked fantastically well. You can get these for at the dollar store. I have several so I used this one. I thought it might be ruined from this but not at all. Also including my bigger kiddos on this project was awesome. I'd highly recommend it. This felt like a no-fail step to the project and it gave me time to bond with them.

Step 3: Wipe
Next I wiped the area off with an old kitchen rag. This helped get off anything that the spatula had missed. I repeated these steps in little sections of the ceiling until all of the popcorn plaster was off.

The tutorial had suggested protective eye wear and I agree. That would have been a really good thing. I tried to keep the plaster wet so that there was minimal dust but it was a crazy messy job.

I tried to use a sheet to contain the mess but I'm not sure that it helped. I can not overstate the fact that this made a HUGE mess. I think it took me about an hour to scrape the ceiling and about two hours to clean up the mess that I'd made. 

Also, it goes without saying, yet I didn't do this - be sure to clean out your area completely before starting this. I thought I would do this a little bit at a time and didn't really love things out of the bathroom until stuff started to get crazy messy in there. Next time I'll know better and just clean the space out first so there is less to clean later. 

Also we made a mess on our carpet. It vacuumed up fine but like I said - this project is so messy.  If you are having your kiddos help out make sure that they know not to track plaster into the carpet or lay down some sheets/old towels to try to help contain the mess.


If you're thinking about a bathroom renovation and are considering scraping off your popcorn ceiling I'd say go for it! It was very do-able and now I'm more motivated than ever to get the rest of the bathroom painted etc. since I spent so much time cleaning it and was close enough to notice all of the little things that drive me crazy about this bathroom. 
This is what the ceiling looks like now!! I really love that there is no more popcorn ceiling hanging down. Can't wait to get this finished. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this! My bedroom ceiling drives me crazy and, to beat it all, they continued the texture about a foot and a half down the walls. There's probably no way I can carry all the books out of my room to keep from dust falling on them but I may have to try covering them up and give this a go.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required