Wednesday, October 7, 2015

31 days of Brave: Day 7 - in the quiet

Before I start this post I just want to say how thankful I am to everyone who has sent me a message through Facebook, Instagram, or text message to say that they are reading. Publishing these posts has been a crazy up and down experience for me - I have wanted to give up a million times. Knowing that this is in some way connecting with you and encouraging you makes me feel like all the anxiety was worth it. 


It is kind of funny to me that this day follows yesterday. That on the heels of embracing imperfection that God would lead me to be quiet but that is what happened. During Lent I felt this call to humility -

There is this huge temptation when God is doing something big in our lives, and especially when we are choosing brave for it to become "look at me!" Look at how deep I am going. Look at how brave I am! And the whole thing looses it's meaning. We expect brave to be loud - but sometimes brave is quiet.



Humility is something that has always baffled me, it's such a cliche in church. It feels like the truth of humility is like a sunken ship that lies somewhere underneath about a hundred years worth of barnacle and sea weed. Humility is a lot of things - for me, during this season of Lent, I learned that it is at least these two things. To be quiet and to go low. 

So Lent came - and with it a call to quiet. I took a break (more or less) from Instsgram and totally gave up Facebook for awhile. I tried to practice quiet listening with my kids and especially in my marriage. It was a really good thing, over all. I realized how often I fill the space in my relationships with noise. That even a quiet person can easily become quick to speak and slow to listen when they are trying to fill an awkward silence or when they feel not-listened-to.

Just the other day I was reminded of something I read recently:

BrenĂ© Brown says, “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they are never weakness.”

I learned during lent that while the silence can be scary - and so is making the choice to not defend yourself with my husband and not jumping in and playing the "I know it all" role with my kids - there are a lot of valuable lessons to be learned in choosing to be quiet. It takes a lot of brave. It is so worth it.
continue reading... to go low

2 comments:

  1. Humility has baffled me too. Love your insights: low and quiet! And totally love this song. My son is blessed to be out at Bethel church in Redding this year soaking in this kind of worship! You are brave. Thanks for writing! I'm.definitely following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much THIS: " We expect brave to be loud - but sometimes brave is quiet!"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required