Saturday, October 3, 2015

31 Days of Brave: Day 3 - where feet may fail



I have basically been staring at a blank screen all day.

Not literally, because I have a family, and especially a four year old who needs interaction and supervision. But during various lulls in our day I'd sit down, open my blog posting app on my phone, stare at the screen for a bit and then close it down. Searching for words, trying to find a starting point for what I want to say. 

Yesterday I shared about how hard last year was for us as a family and for me personally. It was a year I felt I just survived and as I looked forward to the coming year I was crying out "I just don't know how I am going to make it through this year" 



In this place of fear and doubt the song "Oceans" became my anthem. 

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand
I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise my soul will rest in your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and you won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior



In my storm I was finding this to be true. I was finding God's grace abounding in the deep waters,  I was needing to declare His unchanging faithfulness to me and daily surrender to whatever this next year would bring. 

I just read this blog post from Annie F Downs (thank you Courtney Kirkland for the link!) and I think she is, in a way, so right. If this is going to be our prayer then we have just got to be willing to walk in obedience. Too often as Chrisitans we say "have Your way God" we sing the songs with hands raised and hearts fully engaged in that moment but then we walk out of church and live our lives without obedience or surrender.

As this year began I felt God call me out into deep waters. Into a place of radical obedience, to lay down everything, to hold back nothing, to go where it was scary, to be steadfast in the face of fear, to be brave. To say Yes to whatever God called me to, no matter how big or small. 

I had no idea what this would look like during the next few months. How God would challenge some of my deep fears and uncover how deep and big they really were. How He would ask me to obey in the small moments of my day, and find contentment in small places. I didn't realize that walking out upon the water could turn into feeling like slogging through the mud... but how often do we see the end when we are at the beginning? 




2 comments:

  1. Love that song. Thank you for being brave friend. And I love Annie F. Downs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the edge of my seat! Thanks for sharing and being brave!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required