Tuesday, October 27, 2015

31 Days of Brave: Day 27 - brave together

Can you believe we have made it to the last week of this writing challenge? I am totally flying by the seat of my pants at this point, trying to snatch little bits of time to write. Right now I'm sitting at the end of a tough day, two days into a week that feels oppressive, not just because it's been raining non-stop, but just everything feels like it is just a little bit overwhelming. But I know that the rain will pass and the sun will come out again, and I am trying to practice the habit of listing blessings instead of everything that has gone wrong so far today... 




Sometimes when we think of being brave we think of it as a solitary thing. Me, on my own, doing my thing, by myself. But the reality, in my life anyway, is that I am able to do brave best together. 

I need friends (especially girlfriends) who are willing to be brave with me. Brave in our mess, brave in the middle, brave in the struggle. We hold each other up and point each other to our true source of strength.

I have found so much power in being able to speak openly and honestly about the things that are driving me crazy, that I want to keep hidden. There is so much strength in putting a voice behind my fears and frustrations. Out loud, in the light of day, fears aren't quite as big or terrible as they feel in my mind.

This doesn't look the way I thought it would. Right now it's a lot of texts, it's time spent together at Chickfila while our kids play, it's doing small group together, I have a new group of mommy-friends/walking buddies. I have online friends who encourage and inspire me, even just as I watch them live out their brave. I am really happy with the relationships in my life right now. They're not perfect, they're not all the same - but they give life, and they don't look like something out of a book. My best friendships took a lot of time to grow. It took intentionality and reciprocity, and it has been so worth it.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required