Monday, January 26, 2015

White space, saying no and the Best Yes



White space.

It's the area in a composition that is blank. Blank, but powerful. Whenever I teach a photography class I always say "don't crop too tight, give your composition room to breathe".

We need white space in our days too. We need empty spaces in our days and in our weeks. Room to breathe, space to regroup, places to respond to God.


Sometimes we get to a place in our lives when we feel like the wheels are spinning but we are going nowhere. Like my mom would say, we're running around like a chicken with her head cut off. I was definitely in that place about a year ago, I don't even remember what exactly I was doing, I just remember how beautiful it felt when I began to lay things down and the strength I found as I began to say no to commitments that over-crowded my week. 


Now my weeks are free but my days are full. I am free to meet a new friend for coffee, free to have a play date with another mom in my small group. I am free to watch my friends kids, free to take a walk, take a nap, read a book. I have room to breathe, think & write. This has felt like walking in the rhythms of grace. This has felt like obeying God with my time and days, like waking up to my calling and taking one baby step of faith at a time into who God made me to become.

I just started reading "The Best Yes" the other day and the first chapter reminded me of the power I have experienced in laying things down and saying no to overcrowded weeks. I remembered what a huge difference it made to begin to say no to the clutter so that I could say yes to what God was calling me to do with the days He has given me.
 
This year I have started picking things up again, one by one. Some of thing are old, some are new. Some weeks have been really full. It's been good but it's given me new opportunities to practice saying no. I do not want to become so busy with obligations that there is no more room in my days and weeks for asking God "what do you want me to do? Who do you want me to reach out to?"  I want to be mindful of overcrowding my week. I need room to breathe in my days and white space in my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required