Friday, January 2, 2015

My word for 2015

My word for this year has been forming in the background since around October. It has everything to do with this song so if you don't know it. You can listen to it here: Oceans - where feet may fail has been an anthem for me this past year. It has been a song I have come back to over and over. If I could choose just one song for 2015 it would be this one. (BTW: My song for 2014 would be this one OR maybe this one)  I feel God calling me out onto the water this year. To live this year, this whole year out in the oceans deep. One radical step of faith at a time.

I'm not really a "radical step of faith" kind of person. At least I don't think I am. I'm a faithfully serving in the background kind of person. Quietly doing what I can. I don't mind having little moments of walking out onto the water, so long as I can get my feet back onto the beach ASAP. I'd much much much much rather live on the beach, feet on the ground where everything will be okay if I was wrong about what I was feeling and everything working out even if God doesn't come through for me. But I feel God leading me to be done with all of this cautious skepticism.

Romans 4:19-25(MSG) Abraham didn’t focus on his own impotence and say, “It’s hopeless. This hundred-year-old body could never father a child.” Nor did he survey Sarah’s decades of infertility and give up. He didn’t tiptoe around God’s promise asking cautiously skeptical questions. He plunged into the promise and came up strong, ready for God, sure that God would make good on what he had said. That’s why it is said, “Abraham was declared fit before God by trusting God to set him right.” But it’s not just Abraham; it’s also us! The same thing gets said about us when we embrace and believe the One who brought Jesus to life when the conditions were equally hopeless. The sacrificed Jesus made us fit for God, set us right with God.


The promise I have from God, that we all have from God is that He Is Enough. Despite whatever we feel like we lack, He is More and Better and our Everything. He is strong and true and undefeatable. We can trust Him in the storms and in the tough dry bleak seasons of life.

This year God has led me to moments of epic faith. He brought me into situations that have felt like a strait-up dead end and I watched him come through for me. There have been a handful of moments this past year where I have cried out to God "I'm hanging by a thread." and God's answer has rung out clear and strong and true "Yes, you may be down to just one thread, but that one thread is me and I will never fail you." Watching God not fail me over this past crazy-tough year has prepared me to believe that He'll come through for me this year too.

I've come back a lot to the image of a lighthouse. There have been so many moments throughout my life when I have felt like a storm-wrecked beach. This year God gave me a new image -  storm-tossed beach no longer, but a lighthouse. When the storms crash the lighthouse stands strong, built firmly on the rock, shining brightly in the darkness.  He has made me to be a little lighthouse and Jesus is MY lighthouse:



I am walking into this new year feeling terrified.  Honestly I'm starting this year feeling like I've been sucker-punched by life. Questioning if I'm wrong about everything. I have no idea what it means to choose a word like "radical" for this year and wondering about this year to be a year of walking out onto the water. But this year is about just taking one step at a time. Maybe it'll be messy. Maybe it won't end at some neat and nice ending spot at the end of the year, but to do anything else seems to be betraying all that God has done for me and in me and through me in the past few years. I feel scared and broken. But this song gives me hope. I think it speaks the truth about everyone who feels broken:

4 comments:

  1. My Lighthouse is one of my all time faves!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - might just have to steal *Radical* for myself friend ;) Love this and all the music you shared too... I think music just might be one of those special ways God speaks right to my soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the music! Is your one word "Deeper"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my word this year is "radical" but it is kind of also "brave" and I love your word Deeper. I'm putting that in the mix as well...

      Delete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required