Sunday, October 26, 2014

Day 24 - when you don't feel it

This is Day 24 of my 31 days of writing series called "Confessions of a Road Kill Christian" If you haven't read Day 1 yet you can click here first. I am linking up with #write31days. I hope that through this series of posts we'll be encouraged by who God is and who He says we are in Him.


 




Last night I was washing up dishes, stressed out because I'm falling behind in this writing challenge, even more stressed out because I just didn't know what else to say. As I'm wiping countertops and clearing the table I ask myself "why did I start this writing challenge in the first place?" I tried to sort through my knee-jerk "right" answers and tried to see the truth in my intentions. The answer is that I wanted to do this writing challenge because I am a writer, trying to step out into who God has made me to be and I wanted to do something that would challenge me, that would be like a writers boot camp.

So what about the moments when you can't feel it? When you're grinding it out and don't feel inspired? Those moments are important too. They help strenthen the writer that is trying to get out.



This morning as I was drying my hair and getting ready for church it finally clicked - it is the same thing with our walk with God. If you want to get off of the highway of life where the semi's run you over, if you want to leave behind the road-kill Christian life you have to follow God no matter how you feel. 

You have to show up for church, even if you don't feel like it, even if last week was just okay, you have to show up because you never know when the Holy Spirit is going to show up and change your life forever. 

You have to show up to small group even if you're still struggling to get to know people. You have to say yes to godly people inviting you into their lives, even though you feel insecure, insignificant or just exhausted and not sure you really want to put on your big girl pants and walk out the door. 

You've got to sit down with your Bible no matter how you feel before during or after - especially when your reading plan had you going through the Old Testament, because you never know when you're going to look back and see the glorious things God has been doing in the hidden, quiet places of your heart. 

You have to follow the little nudges of the Holy Spirit, even though at first they might feel random and small, tithing is another thing I do out of obedience and not necessarily because of how it makes me feel. 

Following God even when you don't feel like it, believing God is near even when you can't feel anything at all - that is one of the first steps of spiritual maturity. 

Following in the direction God has pointed you until He changes your direction is an important thing to do, because we all have bad days, days when we feel like we're talking to the wall and only hearing crickets. So today, this is my encouragement to you, my friend reading this - keep moving forward with God, no matter how you feel.  


3 comments:

  1. So true!! A great encouraging post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned this over and over again in the past four years. I follow God and have stopped allowing his people to change my direction. Because if I focused on the people, I would have stopped attending church years ago.

    So, so good, Faith!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required