Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Day 14 - this is where the healing begins

This is Day 14 of my 31 days of writing series called "Confessions of a Road Kill Christian" If you haven't read Day 1 yet you can click here first. I am linking up with #write31days. I hope that through this series of posts we'll be encouraged by who God is and who He says we are in Him.




Today I spent the morning with my best friend. My kids are all home from school right now so between the two of us we have nine children. In between all of the interruptions that happen with that many kids we shared life. She encouraged me to my core and shared her big dreams for me, and she listened as I shared my frustration and fear. We spoke life and love and light to each other. We listened to each other, we reminded each other of the truth. We loved on each other's kids and as I sit here now and think about where I was in my life when I met her and all we have been through since then I thought "this is where the healing begins."

Community is kind of a buzz-word in the church right now, but when you have it everything is better. When you are isolated everything is harder. Community, even if it's just one other friend, or just a small group of other women, or a few couples, that is where I have found change, and healing and the real-life growth I needed so much.

I believe God leads us through seasons of wandering through relational deserts. I know God prunes us, and causes our roots to go deeper in Him during seasons of being (or feeling) alone but the growth, the branches sprouting up and stretching out, I have found, at least in my life anyway, that these seasons happen when I'm in the context of community.

It takes time to develop community. It takes showing up again and again, it takes reaching out even when you feel you have nothing to offer, it takes saying yes to meeting up at the park on days when you want to stay home in your jammies, it takes being willing to open up your home and sit with dirty dishes and unfolded laundry and share a cup of coffee and your heart. It takes showing up and being willing to set aside the emotionally photoshopped version of yourself, and be real, in all your beautiful mess. 


17 comments:

  1. This is the first I've read of your series and I will definitely be coming back to catch up - I even hoped over to your emotional Photoshopped post. You have a great voice in your writing - I can relate to so much of what you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really relate to your comment on even if it's just one friend - being all we need and that make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tough being an introvert and embracing community--but I'm learning, slowly learning ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your perspective on the "relational dessert." Transitions are hard and lonely, so I love the thought of seeing purpose in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy that you have a friend to do life with. I have left many such friends in other cities and still haven't quite found one in Chicago.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    31 dayer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, such an important topic! My favorite word in this context is "beautiful mess"- don't despise the pieces but dig deeper, you never know the treasures you'll find underneath!
    Keep up the writing! a fellow 31 Dayer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith, such a great post! I agree with you wholeheartedly. Finding community is so important. It isn't easy but even one friend can make a difference. When I moved almost a year ago, that was the one thing that made moving so hard. Now I have been blessed by some amazing friendships; friends who have walked with me in lifes ups and downs. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet friendships are such a blessing. It is all a part of being in the Body of Christ. The fingers are kind of useless without the hands. Isn't it wonderful to be able to share joy and peace with our brothers and sisters?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. The pruning stage is the hardest, but what comes after it is beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, relational deserts--good choice of words. I just came through one of those and it was hard--really hard. But I had to trust there was a reason for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a story! I just now read your whole series so far and I am so impressed with your strength, even though you would deny being strong, you really are. On your statement about community...so true. I am currently in a new state, with no church, no friends other than my son and his sweet wife. I am excited for how I know God is going to show me how to find some friends here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i read everyday, and comment when i get a chance. i agree that community gives a safe place where healing can take place.

    i just want to encourage you that your writing is so honest and honoring to your husband and the Lord... i think that you will encourage so many other people in their lives with God and in their marriages. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your heart and truth! Community is kind of a buzz word in the church, but I think it's God's buzz word. I think Father is drawing us back to His true intent for church...family...community. The Acts church...getting back to the basics! Bless you with the presence of Jesus and His JOY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Love that you are finding community.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! There is so much truth in this. We were made to be in community with other people and in particular with other believers. This reminded me so much of my relationship with one of my girlfriends. We get together at one of our houses (usually hers because she has a dedicated play room -- lucky girl!) and let our six kids play together while we share life over a cup of coffee and amidst the various interruptions of the needs of our kids. It's always such a refreshing thing to share life with her and mother our kids together. I just wish that we lived a little closer so we could pop over and chat more often. She's not so far away, but it's a good 30 minute ride between our houses. Thanks be to God for good friends!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so right. Community isn't easy to develop, but it's always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been through many seasons of deserts over the years. Times when friends have moved. Times when I have moved. Times when God called me to a different community... all of these seasons make me that much more grateful for the friends I have had. Thank you for sharing this with me on my post in 31 dayers the other day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required