Friday, February 28, 2014

Things I've Learned

I'm pretty sure that this my first every "10 Things I've Learned" post and first time linking up with Emily Freeman's  blog. If I could live next door to anyone in the world, it would probably be her. I love her encouraging blog & inspiring books. If you read my blog but don't read hers - go subscribe now!

I'll admit that when I first thought of doing a 10 things post I wondered if I would have a hard time coming up with ten things. I've been in a bit of a brain fog lately so here goes nothing...


{one} I am stronger than I think I am.
December was tough for me. I felt totally de-railed. January was rough too but February has been totally overwhelming and March is threatening to be harder still as my husband moves to Atlanta to start his new job. This is happening in the middle of the struggles I've been having with my daughter's schoolwork and I've been stressed!!! 

On top of which our family is now battling sickness when we need to be healthy to go to my grandparent's anniversary party tomorrow. This feels like the straw that broke the camel's back. This is too much!!  Yet still, somehow, I still keep going. Sometimes with a better attitude than at others. 

But what I have learned this month is that I don't have to fall apart. I don't have to crumble under this overwhelming pressure. I don't have to be stressed. Some moments are made to stand and fight. Fight for faith against doubt and fear. Fight for love when it's easier to be annoyed. Stand on the promises and not be shaken. For me, this is one of those moments. 

{two} yoga is terrific for stress
I finally did some yoga this morning and I felt like a month of stress got released. It was really what I needed this morning.


{three} I made a good choice a year ago.
About a year ago I quit my work from home job to be a full-time, full-on Stay At Home Mom. I loved my work, but after Eli was born I just didn't feel like I had time or the energy to do it well.  I have doubted that decision a lot over the months but yesterday as I was on the computer, finishing up a project for my grandparents anniversary party I realized, overwhelmingly, that I am so glad my life is spent away from the computer now. 

{three} I need a lot of empty space in my life.
One if the up-sides of having sick kiddos is that I was forced to stay at home and this reminded me of how much I love having wide open spaces and room to breathe in my week. Time to just sit with Eli outside in the sunshine with nothing in particular that needs to be done today or at least not right now. It is a tough balance because I also need to get out of the house sometimes. But it was a good reminder.

{four} I don't need to see the point in everything

Jessi at Naptime Diaries put it so well: It doesn't have to have a point to have a purpose. This applies to time spent with friends, kids and the hubs - without an agenda or a list of talking points in my back pocket. I think this also applies to seasons of my life. There were a lot of moments, looking back, that didn't seem to have a point. It was just a whole lotta nothing - but there was also purpose. Looking beyond the what of my days to embrace a bigger purpose. Maybe there doesn't have to be a point. I can trust there is purpose.

{five} dark chocolate with sea salt caramel 


Where have you been all my life? 
Mind. Blown.

{six} spotify 
Spotify was so worth the hassle of trying to figure out!! I have it on my phone and I have created a bunch of playlists. My kids have really started to enjoy listening to secular/pop music - I wasn't ready for this! For my kids to say their favorite song is one I don't know from a band I've never even heard of is uncharted territory for me. So this allows me to create a playlist of the music that they like without the music I don't like, or the crude DJs on the pop radio.  I also have a worship playlist that has pretty much every single one of my favorite songs in it. 

{seven} Grilled Pimento Cheese
I discovered how to make these this month and have been craving them ever since. They are extra-yummy with some extra cheese, mayo & sriracha sauce. But come on, isn't everything better with sriracha?  

{eight} Gentleness & Ease
I've been thinking about these two words a lot lately, especially as it relates to my parenting. At this moment I feel like pulling my hair out and screaming  because parenting school-aged kids is so much harder than I thought it would be. I'd like to get back to a place where I had more confidence in my parenting and for gentleness to be at the core of everything I do with my kids.

{nine} this song
Windows down, sun shining and Happy on the radio!
Also I was so happy to hear Majesty Rose play this on American Idol this week.

Speaking of American Idol - do you have favorites yet? Sam is my 100% favorite!! Also MK has won me over. I wasn't sure about her at first but now I hope to see her go really far.

{ten} it doesn't have to be perfect
I don't really have a tenth thing. I've been waiting to post this all day for lack of a tenth thing. So this is my tenth - it doesn't have to be perfect. 

If you are visiting from Chatting at the Sky and have also done a list of ten things I learned please let me know and leave a link to your blog post in the comments!


1 comment:

  1. May March be better than you think it will be. Yoga is a good stress reliever. Parenting school age children is hard and much too character building. I am enjoying the teen phase even though it too has its challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required