Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Read/Watch/Listen 2013



Picture books we're enjoying today: A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound by John Irving (really love the way this written) Monster Day at Work by Sarah Dyer (TOTALLY love this charming, understated piece!! Really inventive, similar to the firstMommy is planning menus & grocery shopping lists. Eli is looking at some of his favorite books. Love this sweet boy!Eli's favorite books from the Library :)I said "do you want me to read another book?" He said "No. All of them" ha!


I was thinking about some of the books, movies (and TV), and music I've enjoyed this year and wanted to blog this. These lists are always so fun to look back on! Also I'm trying to keep a running list of what I've read/want to read so do let me know if you have any suggestions!

IMG_6793
Last winter I was reading The Hunger Games Trilogy. I read them to see if they were appropriate for my 5th grader and got completely hooked! Apparently there is still a small part of me that is a giggly teenage girl. The first book was my favorite - the next two got progressively worse and yet I could not put them down!! 

I've started reading again... and it's like I've come alive again. I've got all kinds of books in my reading pile - Kate Morton "The Distant Hours" is shaping up to be my favorite fiction book I've read in awhile. "The Hours" is very interesting - it was
This spring I attempted Virginia Woolf's "Mrs Dalloway" and by attempted I do mean I didn't get all the way through it. I never thought reading a novel could be so difficult! I enjoyed the challenge but it moved so slowly it was like the story moved at half-time. I also attempted reading "The Hours" but didn't get all the way through it. I loved the movie.  Another book-turned movie I enjoyed: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

IMG_2403

I really enjoyed Kate Morton's novel "The Distant Hours" I had attempted another one of her novels and couldn't really get into it. This one I enjoyed quite thoroughly.


IMG_2004

This summer I read "Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindburgh I highly recommend you bring this along the next time you go to the beach! Or really anytime you want some light yet thoughtful reading on the subject of life and simplicity. I really need to but this one.


On the road Edited w #pictapgo_app

This year I did two Bible studies by Kelly Minter -  I highly recommend them both: Ruth & No Other Gods were both really good. The thing I love best about them is I felt that there was a lot of room for the Holy Spirit in these studies. I love how these studies prompted me to dig deeper and ask God hard questions about myself and what I believe about Him. My favorite part in these studies is honestly  what I wrote in the margins, and sitting at our last meeting, listening to how these studies impacted my ladies made me deeply appreciate this semester's small group.

I also co-led a One Thousand Gifts small group study. The DVDs were great though I thought the study guide was pretty much useless. I enjoyed using the Devotional edition of the book the most. It's very easy to read and digest, since it's broken into smaller pieces. 


Currently I'm reading "a million little ways" and am loving  it!  Download it now.


Movies - 

I saw Hunger Games: Catching Fire in theaters. Loved it - so intense!! I was glad I'd read the book first.

I took my bigs to see the new Percy Jackson movie. My kids are big fans of Rick Riordan's novels - so they were thrilled. I'm glad my littles didn't see it though since some of the scenes were pretty scar, but my bigs really enjoyed it. 

Despicable Me 2 - we saw this as a family and enjoyed it so much! So cute and funny. My littles said it was the best movie ever. But then don't they say that about every movie?

The Croods - I think Daniel & I might have enjoyed this even more than the kids. It's hilarious. We were laughing the whole way through this. There was one part that was a little extra scary/sad and I nearly cried but it's about equal to Toy Story (didn't you cry at Toy Story 3? I totally did!)

Oblivion  - really enjoyed this movie. Possibly one of the best movies I saw this year. Hmmmm, I think I want to watch it again soon.

Host - was a little bit teenage angsty but I enjoyed it. 

Safe Haven - okay so I didn't love the ending and it's totally predictable but predictably enjoyable! 

The new Star Trek movie "into darkness" - as someone who grew up on this franchise I geek out just a little bit when these movies come out. Loved this one.


TV
Sherlock - the acting is perfect, it's a modernization of the Sherlock Holmes story. Loved every bit of it, especially season one.

Elementary - and Americanized Modernization of the Sherlock story that the Hubs and I have enjoyed watching this year. It's almost nothing like the books but still a really good show.

Downton Abbey - last year I watched bits and pieces of season three but season four has set me into full-on Downton Abbey fan-status. I watched the rest of season two earlier this week. I think it's much easier to watch it as a season all at once than week by week. 

Call the Midwife - so I cry at almost every episode. I love the cast so much! The second season is maybe not quite as good as the first but I loved them. I think it's even better than Downton Abbey. I've seen that there is a book that this television series is based on but I'm afraid to read it. Thumbing through it I could tell that there was some plot consolidation and I'm not sure if I could take it.

The Taste - it's like The Voice for cooking. Love watching it with the Hubs. Just finished watching season 1 on Hulu - we may watch season 2 since it's just started up again. 


Music
This year I finally discovered Meredith Andrews - I especially love this version of her radio hit "Not for a Moment". I am also in love with her song "Strong God" and her Christmas song on the radio with Big Daddy Weave "Ring the Bells"

This year I also discovered Audrey Assad and I'm so loving her music! "Good to Me" was my anthem over the fall - I was playing it constantly.

I've been blogging some of my favorite worship songs one of my favorites is by All Sons & Daughters - I really like their music and especially Great Are You Lord

I also discovered the wonderful thing that is YouTube playlists. I've created a bunch. I also started using Spotify this year.

So that is pretty much my year in movies, music & books. I'd just love to hear about yours!! Have any faovrite books/movies/TV shows to recommend?

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun post. I enjoy watching the Taste too. Hunger Games--read all of them but haven't seen the new movie yet. If you are a Little House on the Prairie fan, you must read "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" written by the woman who plays Nellie Oleson. I was rolling on the floor laughing at some points and crying in other parts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required