Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Homemade Tomato Soup


I have been on both sides of the food bank - the giving side and also the receiving side and I'll tell you what, some of those boxes have got some crazy stuff in them but when it's all that is in your pantry it's what you learn to use.  This recipe came out of a food bank box. I had no idea what to do with canned carrots this recipe was the answer and has become one of my staples. You can't taste the white beans but they fortify the soup. The carrots and corn give the soup just the right amount of sweetness. If you want a smoother texture to the soup omit the corn but definitely try it once first. Also try this with black beans instead of white. I love black beans and corn together and while it makes a less traditional tomato soup I really love it. Bush brand seasoned black beans are my favorite and are, in my opinion, totally worth the few extra cents. You can make this from fresh ingredients or canned, I've tried it both ways and I haven't found the taste to be significantly different.

this is what you'll need
Ingredients:
One box of chicken broth
1 can of carrots
1 can corn
1 can white beans - I prefer to use cannellini beans
2 big cans of tomato - I prefer peeled crushed tomatoes. Skins in soup are not fun.
optional: some onion or shallot & butter


Start with a nice big soup pot and set it on high/ med-high heat. When I made this soup I started it with 2Tablespoons of butter and 1 large diced shallot. You could also use some sweet onion, about a quarter of a large sweet onion would be good and you could just as easily use olive oil instead of butter if you'd like.  Once your onions/shallots are translucent reduce the heat to medium. Add half of the chicken broth. Drain the beans and add them. Return to simmer, drain the canned carrots & corn and add them. Add the cans of tomato and the rest of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Buzz it in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender to blend your soup (one of my favorite kitchen tools!!). If you blend it in your blender you'll more than likely need to put it back into your stock pot to re-heat a bit. I like to serve my tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches or quesadillas. You can also add prepared (aka leftover) orzo, rice or quinoa to the soup to add a little texture & substance.




1 comment:

  1. looks yummy! mouth watering now...should have eaten breakfast BEFORE computer time!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required