Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Emmanuel - part 2


This time of year is crazy, isn't it? The moments of overwhelming stress squeezed in next to moments of exquisite beauty. 

If there is one thing I'm learning right now, one takeaway from this season, it would be an intense appreciation that Jesus came to be our Emmanuel - God with us.

God with us - in the beautiful moments
God with us - in the pain
God with us - when it is all too much
God with us 
when my heart is bursting 
or breaking
God with us. 

Something about this simple truth helps. It helps me take each moment as it comes. Makes me thankful in the moment when that song comes on the radio and I'm singing along at the top of my lungs. Gives me peace in the moments of pain. Helps me not drag one moment into the next, or one emotion into every moment. 

Now I'm feeling happy - okay then soul - be happy! Thank you God for this joy, thank you that you are with me in my joy thank you for music and twinkle lights and kids laughing together. 

Next moment I'm breaking - okay then, I will not hide, I won't wallow I refuse to be ashamed of my grief. I will simply be in this moment and God with me in it. Thank you Jesus that you are no stranger to pain and heartbreak. 

God with us when the angels sang,
God with us when there was no room at the inn.
God with me in the laughter.
God with me in the tears.
In the stress.
In the overwhelmation.
In the delight.
In the disappointment.
In the despair.
In my mess.
Emmanuel. 

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. (Hebrews 4:15 ESV)



1 comment:

  1. So beautiful, encouraging and true! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required