Monday, November 18, 2013

Recipe: White Chicken Chili

white chicken chili

Now and then I daydream about being a food blogger. I'd fill my food blog with amazing recipes made from simple ingredients. Those are some of my favorite blogs to browse, with my "pin it" button at the ready so I can pin it to my "maybe one day I'll try this, but probably not" board otherwise known as "beautiful food"

The reality, however is that I'm not that much of a cook, I randomly throw things together that sometimes turn out great and occasionally are barely edible. And with this blog not terribly high on my list of priorities at the moment and the amount of time it takes to develop a recipe, photograph it and blog it - posting recipes is probably not something I'll be able to do regularly for awhile. But a couple of my Facebook friends asked for the recipe - so instead of posting a recipe-adjacent status update I thought I'd do a proper recipe blog post with a proper recipe.

Today it is actually pretty hot here in the Augusta area, nearly 80 degrees. So as I'm making this chili wearing a tank top, with my hair pulled up off my neck and my fan on high I'm kind of laughing at myself for choosing today to make this.

DSC_5466

I'm making this particular batch for a friend of mine. This dish carries well, reheats great, simmers on the stove well (and could possibly be converted to a crock pot recipe) or whips up in a jiffy. I like to add leftovers to quesadillas or I'll wrap it up in a tortilla as a burrito.

This recipe is basically copied from the back of the white chicken chili seasoning packet plus black beans and corn. I know black beans are not typically included in a white chili recipe, however I think black beans and corn are just the perfect pair and I try to throw them into whatever I can.

I like to use Cannellini beans - they are white kidney beans and just a few cents more expensive than other white beans like great northern beans. I like using them a lot. I also like using frozen corn instead of canned - I think it tastes fresher. Some other things you could throw into this: queso cheese, canned tomatoes, corn & bean salsa.

This is what you'll need for this recipe:
Chicken
McCormick white chicken chili seasoning mix
A can of white beans
A can of black beans
a bag of frozen corn

Optional:
Chicken broth (about 12ozs)
Shredded cheese
Sour cream
Rice
Also - you'll need a little oil for your pan

Step 1: trim chicken breasts & dice into approximately 1 inch cubes
Step 2: heat large pot on stove over high heat, drizzle a little oil in the bottom of the pain (about 1Tb)
Step 3: cook chicken in oil until they are no longer pink.
Step 4: add frozen corn & chicken broth bring to simmer.
I usually prepare my rice to the side - so that the kids can have a lot of rice with a little chili and the hubs can have a lot of chili with a little rice. However, you can also add the rice at this point. Add 1 cup of rice & 2 cups water. Once you've added the beans and brought to a simmer, reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
Step 5: Add the white beans & seasoning packet
Step 6: Drain, rinse and add the black beans
Be sure to rinse them well or your chili will be quite black!
Let it simmer, stirring now and then until it's good and hot and then serve with shredded cheese and if you like, sour cream.

DSC_5471

The ingredients pictured above cost right at about $15 (minus a little change) you could reduce the expense of this meal by using a whole chicken (or none at all), use water instead of chicken broth and not add cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required