Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A beautiful whirlwind


Today I brought home two children.

A three year old and a six week old.

A friendly play date to visit with a friend who has had a few rough weeks turned into watching her kids for a few hours turned into watching them for a few days. It's been a whirlwind. This is for sure. 

My friend is suffering from the worst post partum depression I have ever heard of - her bravery in this moment is beautiful, her husband's care for her is breathtaking. 

In this moment, over the exhaustion of caring for now seven children and heartbreak for my friend, there is this gratitude. This feeling like everything in the last year has led me to this moment - this being at the perfectly right place at just the right time. Watching my husband playfully demand to hold the baby. Feeling his strength, just because he is home. Working as a team - on the same page, working together.

So I'm a little bit terrified of the sleepless night ahead of me. I'm facing all of those irrational fears that come along with having a new baby in the house. I'm overwhelmed with this whole bottle-feeding thing - so if you think of me, pray for me. I'm going to need it!

Now I get to live my advice. Today I had to let another friend into my mess - as I reached out for some help today. I realize I'm seriously going to have to practice what I preach. Ask for help. Be real. LIVE community, not just speak it. 

Tonight as I was feeding the baby and setting my alarm for a middle of the night bottle I prayed that this would be a short dark blip in a long beautiful story. I am so glad to be even just a little part of it. 
IMG_5506IMG_5543IMG_5544

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave and so is your friend for admitting she needs help. I hope you are right and this will be a beautiful story. I'll be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thing to do... such precious children. I pray that this story will have a happy ending. So glad to hear you were in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required