Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Worship song of the week - richest of fare

Here you go - worship song of the week!!

Under this song I've got some thoughts - mostly linked to the Bible study I'm working through right now and also a few more Shane & Shane videos.


Download Shane & Shane "Beauty for Ashes" from Amazon.com here
Download the song on iTunes here

I thought of this song as I was doing my Bible study last night, looking at Isaiah 55:1-2 which says

1“Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.
2Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and you will delight in the richest of fare.


and this Shane & Shane song kept playing on repeat in my head.  It's one of my favorites. I especially love the lines:

I delight myself in the richest of fare
Trading all that I have for all that is better
A garment of praise for my heaviness
You are the greatest
Taste all the richest of fare

I totally get the whole idea of "why spend your money on what is not bread... on what does not satisfy." I have been doing a terrible job lately at what I've been eating. I want to eat more healthily and I go through my green smoothie kicks but I don't want to plan, purchase or prep for it - so I'm pretty much living in frustration over food every day. I start my day with a cup of coffee then I hem and haw and stew and brew about what to eat for breakfast that eventually, around ten thirty or so I eat a PB&J out of sheer desperation and promptly get a headache. I made mac and cheese and baked beans for my family the other night and after dinner I sat down next to Daniel and gave him permission to kill me. Right now, please. Just cut my back open and end my agony. A couple hours later and I felt better but really, this type of day is miserable. The other day I pretty much only nibbled on donuts all day and at the end of the day a bowl of chili was like heaven come down to earth. And I just have to ask myself why?!! Why do I keep doing this to myself? Why do I fill up on the junk food with no nutritional value when a good meal is literally at my fingertips?

Good food, like really good food can be an amazing metaphysical experience (a transcendental - physical, but more so, spiritual or soulish experience) I remember one year when we got our tax return - it was the first year we had more children than adults in our family and our return was really nice. Amazingly we weren't moving or in desperate need of fixing anything and we had a little bit of money to do something nice and so we went out as a family to O'Charley's with no budget just the goal of enjoying a nice meal as a family. Now we were, during that time in our lives, pretty much McDonald's people and there is a huge difference between McDonald's and O'Charley's. The food was so seasoned and it was satisfying. I remember that as an experience beyond just filling bellies.

A similar thing happened the first time we went to the local restaurant Frog Hollow. I had no idea what to expect, had never heard of it, thought the name was weird, the menu sounded gross but we were there for a company event so I ordered what I thought would be the easiest thing to eat with a baby on my lap and hoped Daniel wouldn't mind swinging by Little Caesar's on the way home. Now if you've ever been to Frog Hollow you are probably chuckling to yourself right about now because you don't go to Little Caesar's after you've been to Frog Hollow - you just don't. I got what was probably the best meal of my entire life (except for maybe my brother in-law's quail egg salad - that was pretty high up there too) the flavors and the textures and proportions had me in awe. I did not know simple ingredients could taste so amazing. And this brings me back around to why? Why do I spend money on what's no good and eat what won't satisfy?  Sitting here this morning I honestly don't have an answer.

Which got me thinking about this song:


Put down your paper plate
come to the table laid
with deep blue china
found the table by the wine so fine
it brings out flavor like
you bring out color in life

I find myself doing this with God all the time - He's like "Faith, put down the paper plate and the dollar menu cheeseburgers and come to my table. Come, let your soul feast on the richest of fare." 

Yet somehow I still manage to crowd out and fill up with fluff and nothing.

Distractions.

I don't know why but there it is.

But I do know this: when I come - He satisfies. I might have to sit for a bit, he may not answer the way I want him to - it might be with whispers and scriptures or sunrise and a song but he does satisfy - he does come and fill. He comes in and suddenly everything I've ever known to be satisfying is empty compared to Him. I'm blown away by his love for me, amazed at the depth and height and lavishness of His grace.

But here's the catch - it doesn't feel like that every day. So I get impatient and wonder where is God in the middle of my mess. I give up and move onto the next thing, frustrated & doubtful. I struggle with filling up on God.

I don't know why
I run to Netflix when I feel overwhelmed with my life
or to coffee when I feel inadequate.
I don't know why
I run around with my paper plate when there's china right there
sitting on my bedside table getting dusty.

Maybe you'e walked through this before me - if you have any insight into this feel free to share in the comments or send me an email.


And because I'm in a Shane & Shane kinda mood - here are some more songs.






and here's something more upbeat. LOVE this song!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Faith! I love the honest sharing and imagery... :) Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required