Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mom-tip Monday (on a Wednesday)

Out takes

I thought it would be fun to write a quick mom-tip for each week. So here is one for today:

One of the things I struggled with a lot with my first child (and every one after her - but especially the first) is that it feels like they are crying all the time!! They cry if they are hungry, cry if they are uncomfortable, cry if they are bored, cry if I do something they don't like. It's emotionally exhausting. So here is my tip for those going-to-loose-my-mind days.

Play music all the time. 

It doesn't need to be toddler-tunes or lullabies (although this one is definitely a good CD to keep in the car) - praise music is fantastic and classical music can also sometimes be awesome background music. When my firstborn was having one of her epic meltdowns I would sometimes just sing a song. I had no clue what was going on with her and we both needed a minute to calm down. It would at least help me and keep me from blowing a blood vessel. There are tons of resources for when the iPod is just not cutting it. Pandora and Spotify are both great ways of getting a variety of songs - just plug in a favorite worship song from church or a tune from the radio and you're good to go for hours. I enjoy putting together playlists on YouTube this is my quiet praise playlist and my other worship playlist and the playlist I put together for my girls to listen to while they are getting ready for school and one that has some favorite Christian music I've heard on the radio. You can also listen to a radio station by streaming it on your phone or computer. Air1 is one of my favorites - it broadcasts all over the country. My local Christian radio station is one of the best I've ever listened to, I especially love listening to it on Sunday mornings as I'm getting ready to go to church.

So there you go! My mom tip. If you've got one to share please email me or if you have a question or situation you'd like help/perspective on feel free to send it my way. Love ya!

2 comments:

  1. YES! We play classical music from our tv. and it calms the wild Indians down almost immediately ;) GREAT tip. <3

    -Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tip! I always sing when things are getting a little hairy. We play lots of music too in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required