Friday, February 22, 2013

My Chevron Afghan: part 1

in which I decide to really, truly do this thing


Last night I posted a photo of the afghan I was working on. To which I got a note from my mother reminding me that I'd mentioned wanting to do this chevron afghan next...

Source: purlbee.com via Faith on Pinterest


Wait, back up - before that...

I've been working on this afghan for about a week and have reached the point where I am halfway between loving it and hating it. I love it because it's the first thing I've made since Eli's baby blanket and I love that I actually went out and bought some yarn. I hate it because I'm working size six yarn in a single crochet and I am starting to think it will never really be cold enough to use such a heavy blanket. I don't like having afghans with lots of holes in them but I also don't like afghans that make me sweat. I also don't like the length - it took me nearly an entire skein to do two complete rows - that's how long this thing is and as if that wasn't enough I didn't really plan out what colors I was going to do, I just started with my favorite color and added other colors randomly, which I don't like. I don't like random and I don't like looking at my afghan and wanting to rip it out. 

So I think I really am going to unravel the whole thing and start over and this time I'm going to use a pattern, because I'm almost thirty years old, I've been knitting & crocheting since I was maybe ten and I don't think I've ever finished anything that required following any type of a pattern, at least not since I made this huge beast of an afghan that did not turn out well twelve years ago... it was awful. 

So... I think I'll do try this whole chevron afghan thing. I found a video tutorial:



and I found some awesome ideas on Pinterest:







So I think I'll give it a try! I bought some new yarn today, in case I decide I want to leave my monster-blanket as-is, but I am really, truly excited about this. We're driving to Atlanta for a birthday party soon and that is the perfect excuse to spend lots of time getting this thing started. I'll keep you updated on my progress...

1 comment:

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required