Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homestyle Playdough

playdough recipe card
First of all: I can not claim any credit for this recipe. I discovered it on Pinterest awhile back and decided to give it a try this weekend. Here is the link to the original recipe.

I'm not the type of person who usually does things like this. I am fine with $1 package of play dough. I've never thought it would be worth the time or expense of making it myself but now I'm a believer. I love this recipe and the feeling of making this myself. It only took me maybe five minutes to make, I had all of the ingredients in my pantry and it was beyond easy to make.

playdough2

So this is what you'll need: flour, water, oil, salt, cream of tartar (if you don't have any get it! It doesn't cost much and you can use it in other recipes, mostly in desserts. you'll find it with the spices at your grocery store) and any food coloring, glitter, flavors or spices you want to add to make it colorful and smelly.

playdough1
playdough3playdough pot
you'll also need standard kitchen measuring cups & spoons 
as well as a large pan to warm the ingredients.
playdough4playdough5
I decided for this batch I'd try to make it orange colored. Add the food coloring to the water (you can also add more later on but it's easier if you do it at this point) If you're using peppermint oil now is a good time to add that.
playdough6
Heat the oil a little in the bottom of your pan. Remove from heat. Add your ingredients and mix together.
playdough7
playdough8
I chose to add a little allspice to my playdough to make it smell nice. I also added cinnamon. In other batched I used peppermint oil. Mix it all together really well and then put it back onto your stove.
playdough10
playdough11
Over medium low heat, stir and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the dough forms a lump. It's better to go slow on this step. It'll start to darken slightly and unevenly but it eventually mixes all together and turns into a big lump.
playdough14
Dump the ball onto a lightly floured surface and knead out any lumps.
playdough15playdough16
playdough19
And now you have a non-toxic, all-natural play dough! Store in an air tight container in your pantry or cupboard.
playdough

Variation - Glitter playdough:

playdough glittler glue
you can add glitter glue to make your play dough sparkly!
playdough glitter 2playdough glitter 3playdough glitter 4playdough glitter 5
add a pinch of flour and knead your dough until it's smooth. If it gets too dry just get your hands wet and continue kneading the dough. It'll soften right up. Store in an air-tight container.
playdough container1
This will make a great homemade gift!

5 comments:

  1. GLITTER playdough!?!?! FUN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, in nearly 12 years of motherhood, I have *never* made playdough.

    But, the more I see the fall/holiday smell options, the more I'm feeling like I might be lured in.

    Pumpkin Pie Spice is calling my name. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required