Friday, August 24, 2012

Normal is over-rated

33/365

Tonight we danced in the kitchen, I made Quesadillas and the kids picked and grazed and we never really sat down and ate but when I was out of cheese everyone was full, so I'm going to call it good.

Now I'm standing here in my kitchen viewing the mess of black beans, corn and shredded cheese and have this twinge of guilt.

I grew up in a home where we ate every meal together at the table, every day and every night, except for Fridays night (or Saturday afternoon) when my mom made pizza (from scratch) and we watched Star Treck in the living room off TV tables. That is my normal. I think that is anybody's ideal. I am so grateful that during a generation of latch-key kids I was one of those few who got home cooked meals at home with my family every day.

Every now and then though it's good to take normal and toss it aside... just throw it out the window and not feel bad about it.

So right now I am giving you and me both permission to not follow our carefully crafted idealized versions of ourselves and just be. Just laugh, sing, be silly. And above all be grateful because everything is going to be a mess again in five, four, three, two, one - yep, there's the fighting and crying.

Back to the mess.


4 comments:

  1. to just laugh, sing and be silly is something I would love to be able to do as soon as possible...you just inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a book somewhere and I think the title is "Normal is just a setting on your dryer!", of course it is Mom-humor, and we all need a good laugh now and then!
    I am glad you remember the good times we had growing up (Moms have to grow up too you know!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny post. I couldn't agree more...love spontaneity and different. Nice shot of the lucky charms.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required