Tuesday, June 5, 2012

mini-tutorial: direction of light

I took some photos today for the e-class I'm teaching. Lesson one is on light and the first assignment is to notice the effect of direction of light so I thought I'd post the photos here as well:


I always say that the idea direction for light should be behind the photographer - it doesn't work 100% of the time, sometimes the best light is side light or backlight but let's say you set down your cup of coffee at the table near the window - and lets put a couple cookies next to them for effect. Here are the results:
with light behind photographer
Light shining from behind the photographer
Untitled
Light shining from beside the subject
with light behind subject
Light behind the subject
Untitled
Shot from above with side light

Untitled
shot at 18mm (18-55mm lens zoomed all the way out)
Untitled
shot at 55mm (zoomed all the way in)
DSC_5158
of course when you have cookies - you have little fingers trying to grab cookies!!
This principle applies no matter what type of camera you are using...
taken with iPhone

P.S. In my Advanced SLR class I'll discuss advanced natural lighting - and how to take one shot is several different styles of lighting... you can register for it now before the price goes up. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I just finished a guest post for The Hollie Rogue about doing an in home natural light shoot and covered a few of the same things about positioning - yourself and your subject! I haven't really done a "how to" like that before...I hope it's good! you'll have to tell me what you think. It goes up on Friday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! Thanks for sharing all the info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very nice! I'm very glad I came across to your site as I've been searching for helpful article as this one. I admit I am very new to photography but this is helping me a lot. Thank you for sharing your great tutorial.

    Best,
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required