Saturday, May 19, 2012

Photo books: the good, the great and the gorgeous

Not all photo books are created equal.  That is for sure. But not every photo book is printed for the same purpose. So here are some thoughts...

Shutterfly is cheap and easy. You can get a very similar product from WalMart, RitzPix and any pharmacy's 1 hour photo department. It is hard to customize these types of books but you can put them together quickly. One cool thing about shutterfly.com is that you can redeem Coke Rewards points to print your photo book. My MIL was given a book from Shutterfly and she loves it. If you want to quickly and cheaply put together some snapshots, this might be the best way to go. They are not my favorite, but they're not awful. As of 5/17 the price for an 8x11 photo book starts at $20 (a 5x7 book starts  at $13)
MyPublisher, Inc.MyPublisher is another economical photo book publisher. They have some great products and they almost always have an awesome promotion going on. I have used them and was delighted by how easy it was to create my photo book and for the price I paid I was more than happy with the results I got. As of 5/17 the price for a 8x11 starts at $30 (they sell a 2.75x3.5 with 20 pages for just $2.99!)

Blurb is pretty much my favorite photo book publisher. If you've been following my blog for awhile you will have seen my blog posts about my blurb photo books. They've got every kind of book for every type of budget. You can make a book of your Instagrams (which blurb will automatically grab from your Instagram feed) for about ten bucks or you can go big and print your photos in all their glory for fifty. I love the customization of the templates for blurb. It's very easy to make exactly the book you want and it's all printed extremely well. I can not say enough how much I love blurb. As of 5/17 the price of a "standard" size book starts at $20 

There are two more book publishers who I have not used yet but some of my friends have and I can not wait to try them out. 

Paper Coterie has adorable and unique designs and they feature some of my favorite photos on their site and blog. Meagan aka Madeline Bea, Angie Warren & Tracy Clark are all women who I love following on Instagram and it's so cool to see their photos and words on the Paper Coterie site. The books are beautifully designed, as I was browsing through their site I was struck again and again by the high quality of the designs. You really could not go wrong with these designs.  Photo books from $20, "swatches" from $15 and premium kraft collection starting at $35 these books are beautiful, I can't wait to order one ASAP.

Pinhole Press is a brand I've been aware of for a while now but hadn't really seen anything much with which to form an opinion about them. Then I saw my friend Chelsey's (The Paper Mama) adorable baby book on the Pinhole Press blog and am totally in love. These books are little bit more pricey but look like they are high quality products with great design. A photo book starts at $44 for a book of iPhone pics, a mini cloth book is $70, a panoramic photo book is $85 and there are lots and lots of other high quality, gorgeously designed product there as well.  


So that is my opinion anyway. I'd love to hear your thoughts! Have you printed a photo book lately? Who did you use? What did you like/dislike about it?

This is NOT an affiliate post, in fact I've gone out of my way to make sure that none of these links will benefit me in any way. I want to give you the truth about photo books and I want you to be 100% confident that my opinion is not being swayed by any possible ad revenue I might be able to generate from a post like this... I have always tried to speak my mind and only write about products I really love, but I thought I'd offer this as an attempt at a completely unbiased review of some of the top photo book publishers. 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know photo books could be so affordable! I am going to have to look into these. I really love the idea of the instagram photobook! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required