Monday, February 6, 2012

Simply Style Week One Interview


Today is the start of my first new class of 2012!! It's called Simply Style and it is especially written for craft business owners and niche bloggers. Each week, along with the tutorials I'll be including interviews from established business owners and I thought I'd put this one on my blog too. 



Name: April Bowles-Olin
Blog/website: Blacksburg Belle 

How long have you been selling online?

 Almost two years.


Could you share some of your story?  

I received my master’s degree in social work from NYU and started practicing therapy. After a few years, I realized that it was too emotionally draining and I needed a creative outlet. I started scrapbooking, making jewelry, coming up with my own recipes, and writing. I landed a bunch of paid writing gigs and the money I made from it was more than I was making from practicing therapy. I left my job as a therapist, started writing, and pursuing my other creative interests. Now, I mainly focus on helping other creative entrepreneurs build their dream businesses.


When you're looking at someone's product photos what are some things you love too see/hate to see?

I love to see natural lighting and detail. I want the colors to pop and to see different angles of the product. I also want the product to be the star—not the background.

I hate when I think that the product is something that I want to buy, but the picture is so awful that it completely turns me off. Dark shadows, harsh lighting, and blurriness all lead to me to click away and purchase from someone else. 


What would you say is the top one or two photography tips to improve sales?

1. Actually read and learn from your camera manual.

2. Compare your pictures to really good product photos and make adjustments until yours are comparable. Don’t just do the same thing over and over. Try to learn and grow on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips. Product photography is a lot harder than people think.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required