Sunday, January 8, 2012

A recipe, and a question

I am sitting at the computer, waiting for my church's small groups online registration to open up. I thought I'd share my recipe for what we ate for lunch - since it was so good. 

I made today's lunch last night - with a white chicken lasagna in mind but what came out was totally different than what I had in mind and so very yummy. This is how I made it: 

1 whole chicken baked in the oven - picked from the bones. Chicken broth made from the bones of the chicken (I baked two chickens we ate one and I put the other in the fridge for this meal).
1/4 of a large sweet onion finely chopped and heated in a large sautee pan with about a cup of the broth. Add the chicken and more broth. Thicken with 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup milk (whisk flour and milk and add to the broth slowly while stirring) Heat over medium low heat until thick and bubbly. Layer with 1/2 box of lasagna noodles (I used the no-boil kind) and top with 8oz Montaray Jack cheese  (I wanted a mild white cheese) shredded (or in small cubes). Baked in a 350 oven for 50 minutes.

It was really good - but it needed something. What would you do to make this better? 

3 comments:

  1. What about spinach and/or mushrooms, maybe broccoli? Sounds really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I was going to suggest something similar to what Nessa said...but another idea could be layering with fresh tomatoes, or zucchini..? I'd personally want a bit more 'zip', so I might sprinkle a bit of parmesan, as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I'm with Tezzie about the Parmesan cheese - I always like the "finish" it adds to dishes like this one.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required