Saturday, January 28, 2012

52 Weeks of Editing in Elements: Week 3 - crop with rounded corners


The baby is down for a nap, I just brewed my self a fresh cup of coffee (Starbucks started selling K-cups for my Keurig and I'm simply over the moon!) and now I'm ready to start week 3 of 52 weeks of editing in elements. This week I want to show you how to make those cute rounded corners for your photos. 

One way to do this - especially if you are going to be using these photos on your blog or website is to use the ever-so-talented Rita's Coffee Shop Rounder Corners for Web Action for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. This is by far the easiest way to do this. 

If you don't know how to install actions you can reference my attempt at an explanation in  last in last week's tutorial and there are links for more thorough tutorials if you're having trouble. 

roundedcornerscrop1
a photo of my hubs, his mom and our baby Eli
Once you're installed the Coffee Shop Rounded corners for the web action, click on the action and then click "apply" to run it.

roundedcornerscrop2b
While the action is running you'll have a chance to set the dimensions for your image. If you are going to be posting these to your blog a good width is 640px 

roundedcornerscrop2
This action has now given you rounded corners and re-sized your image. It's super easy. Make sure you save this as a copy of your original - you never know when down the road you might want to print this image or have it printed on a canvas wrap and you'll want this image closer to it's original size and without the rounded corners.

Just for the fun of it I'm going to show you another way to round your corners which is definitely more complicated- this is just one way. There are probably others, and they are probably easier but this is how I do it:

roundedcornerscrop3
Right click on your rectangle tool. This will give you a drop down list of options - choose the rounded corner rectangle.  
roundedcornerscrop4
Look up at the toolbar for the rounded rectangle tool - choose how many pixels you want to round the corners to - I used 100px for this demonstration. Make sure you do this before you use the tool - you can't edit it later. Draw your shape where you want to crop your image. If you need to adjust the crop switch to the transform tool and you can adjust it. 
roundedcornerscrop4b
Right click on the background layer and click "duplicate layer"
roundedcornerscrop5
Re-order the layers by dragging your shape layer below the duplicate of your background copy
roundedcornerscrop5g
Click on the little "eye" (which toggles the visibility of a layer) to make the background dissappear
roundedcornerscrop6
You can use the menu to Group the layers or press Ctrl+G to group the copy of your background with the rounded rectangle shape


roundedcornerscrop7
This is how it looks in Elements!
1788 copy copy
This is your rounded corner crop completed!

roundedcornerscrop8
If you want to add a drop shadow click on the shape in your layers tray. Click on "style" and pick a shadow

roundedcornerscrop9
Double-click on the effect icon (the little "fx") to edit the shadow
1788 copy copy2

Live, Love, Travel
I'm linking up here
So there you go! I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial. If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them!! If there is something in particular you'd like to learn how to do let me know on my Facebook page and I'll cover it ASAP.
roundedcornerscrop Pin It

52weeks 200x200 copy


I'm not providing a link-up this week since that hasn't been popular but if you like this series you are welcome to put a badge on your blog!

Do you enjoy this style of learning? I just got my first copy of CS5 and will be working on writing a class for it soon! I'll be taking you step by step through everything I've learned how to do when it comes to editing.








1 comment:

  1. Aww... sad about the lack of link-up.

    But thanks for the new skill! I've been doing this a MUCH harder way (or not doing it because it was more complicated than it was worth).

    My first attempt with your method is now on my blog. I'm using PSE3, which doesn't allow for actions.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required