Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I finally got out my speedlight

originally posted


The other night I walked into the living room to see Eli propped up on Daniel's tummy while Daniel was dozing on the couch and half-listening to the news.





I knew I wanted to take a photo of it but I also knew that despite my D700's awesome ISO range even it would have a difficult time capturing a scene lit only by the TV. So,  feeling quite hesitant, I got out my speed light and started snapping away. I snapped off about a dozen shots before I got something that I liked, but I'm really happy with the results.

Eli was pretty interested in the commercials on the TV
watcha doin mommy?
gotta love that hair!



What is a speedlight? Well, it's not a pop-up flash!

It attaches to the top of the camera (called a "hotshoe") and is great for low-light situations. You can also use it in bright light as a fill-light - to fill in the harsh shadows that bright sunlight creates.

It's better than your pop-up flash because it has an attached diffuser, also the flash can be rotated up and down and swiveled so you can bounce the light off of the ceiling, walls, reflectors or umbrellas. It has a much more natural look.
Amazon Links: Nikon // Canon


flash pointed directly at subject
flash bounced off of ceiling
flash pointed directly at subject
flash bounced off of wall
I think the bounced flash looks a lot softer and more natural looking. It's still not perfect but I'm happy to finally fell comfortable using my speedlight!


Live, Love, TRAVEL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required