Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Another less-than Worless Wednesday: what's in a name?

I can hardly believe that it's already been a week since my post about changing up things up here on my blog! Wow this week has already gone by fast.

One of my first questions I have had to ponder since I decided to go ahead and try to complete my rebranding push before the first of the year is a new name for my blog and my "brand" of online photography classes. Like I'd mentioned in my earlier post I don't feel right moving forward with the same name as another photography blog and so begins the journey of trying to re-name and I've found that unless the name just pops into your head naming a business is nothing less than agonizing.

Pretty much everything having to do with Simplicity and Simply Photography is taken five different ways. As I googled different ideas for my blogs new name I realized that I would have to think of something dramatically different from my current name. I thought about naming my blog something along the lines of momtography but again that's taken, along with several variations. I looked at my sweet baby in my favorite sleeper and I think maybe something along the linese of the green striped giraffee. But then I think about the tone of my blog and somehow green striped giraffee Doesn't represent me or my blog well. I have crazy love for Madeline Bea and while I don't know how she ended up with her blog name I know that it's not her name - her name is Megan. That got me thinking - could I come up with something similarly awesome? Pretty much the only name I came up with in that category is Jane Adelaide - it's one of my all-time favorite names but my husband vows none of our kids will ever have it. So it might be a cool name for a blog. When I told my husband about that he just gave me a weird look. Plus I want the name to be easy to remember and flexible enough to grow with me as my classes ands website grow.

The name I am leaning towards at the moment is "Sweet Violet". Violets are my favorite flower and "sweet" just goes really nicely, plus I didn't find any "sweet violet photography" in a google search. I'm considering other options, Lady Violet is one. I thought about "Little Violet" but the hubs said that was diminutive.

Isn't that a great word? It's like something in an old fashioned child's poem or something. It's such a great word, but not exactly a word that I want associated with my photography.

Today I've had this one thought echoing in my brain - don't try so hard. Some things just take time, consistency, patience and perseverance. Sometimes all of this trying so hard does no good at all and just leaves me frustrated and exhausted. I am constantly surprised by the things that do and don't do well on this blog, statistically speaking. The links that generate revenue, the main sources of traffic. They all tell me to stop trying to hard, just be myself and trust that that is okay. At some point I have to stop agonizing and vacillating and just make a decision.

Sometimes you just have to take that next step.

Do you have any thoughts about my new name - I'd also love to hear how you decided to name or rename your blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required