Friday, October 14, 2011

This is a big deal


So you may or may not know yet that I'm writing a class about product photography that I'm calling "Simply Style". It's something I enjoy, something I feel passionately about and something that I see as having a lot of potential for positively affecting my friends in the online handmade community. I have been working really hard at this because I want this class to be a wealth of information and I want to see my friends who have online shops see an explosion in popularity for their products as a result in improved product photography. This will also apply to niche blogs where good photography will really take them to next level. I don't think I've ever been so passionate or worked so hard on any class before. I've been networking with other online shop owners, collecting interviews and meditating on the content and format of this class for months... the basics of this class are simple for me to communicate - it's the back bone of what I teach every month, but fleshing it out it a way that will make an impact on the online shop owner (food blogger, craft blogger or crafter who just needs better photos for her promotional material) and that is accessible to them - that is something I need your help with.

So here is where the big deal comes in... I need a few special people to test-drive some of the material for me. Or in other words you can take a portion of this class for free if you will commit to doing the assignments and provide thorough, honest feedback in a timely manner.

onepearlDSC_8286 2


Who/what am I looking for?
Online shop owners - a committed shop owner who updates her shop regularly.
Food bloggers  - a food blogger who posts at least 1x a week.
Craft bloggers  - a DIY/craft blogger who posts at least 1x a week.
Products  -  I will be photographing these to use as examples. I would like three or four products (from different shops) to use consistently throughout the class. I will send you the images to use however you want and can mail the product back if you'd like or give them away as "door prizes" to class

onepearlDSC_8922

What will you get?
Tutorials - I'll be sending roughly formatted tutorials for you to read and reply to me - what parts were confusing? Were the directions clear? Help me find the gaps in the tutorials and where I've included too much information.
Assignments - I'll give you exercises to improve your photography, a few projects to complete to improve your awareness of composition and style as well as to improve your shooting environment. These will involve purchasing a few inexpensive supplies.
Feedback - I'll be helping you every step of the way, answering your questions and giving you information and explanations of basic photography technique that will improve your photography as a whole.

In order to participate you must be willing to have your photos used in my materials (with credit) including before/after shots. You do not need an SLR camera to participate.

Everyone who participates in my pre-class will get a FREE spot in my Simply Style class or any other class of your choice. 

onepearlDSC_8987

What will the class cover?
I'll guide you through some activities for discovering your style in product photography and give you some hints on styling your shot. I'll be teaching you how to look for the best natural light in your home, how to set up your shot to take advantage of this light. I'll also teach you how to take product shots using artificial light and I'll show you a couple different ways to build a light box. I'll also be covering white balance, give you tips on getting that nice sharp focus we all want in those product photos, and we'll run through a  basic editing process. The best part is that you don't have to have any expensive equipment or photo editing program! But if you have those things I'll include some tips and tricks for using them to their full potential. 

How do you sign up? 
Simply send me an email and I'll send you a quick questionnaire to get started! Please feel free to share this page with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or anyone else that you think would be interested in participating. 

If you want to go ahead and guarantee your spot in this class you can register for it on my photography class page.

*photos in this post are all taken by me for a product review I did on this blog last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required