Sunday, September 18, 2011

He would have been 19 today...

Today I'm remembering my baby brother, Ian who would have been celebrating his nineteenth birthday today.

I was nine years old when he was born

I was a mini-mommy to him

Here he was the ring bearer at my wedding

He was Beth's favorite uncle

On January 3, 2009 my sixteen year old brother committed suicide. 


He was a strait A student and a Boy Scout, he wanted to have a career in the military. The last time I'd talked to him he was telling me about the girl he wanted to marry... no one saw it coming.  One day he was celebrating the holidays, and his girlfriend's birthday - the next day he was gone.

Please, don't forget to tell your kids how much you love them.

Don't forget to let them know that even when they get into trouble or give you grief that they are still loved and wanted.

Give your son or daughter or sister a brother a hug today, just because they're alive.

And if you are considering suicide, or struggling with thoughts of suicide. Please, speak up. Ask for help. I've been there and I know how hard it is to admit it when you're in that dark place. I know it's so difficult to speak the words - but please please  don't go another day without  asking for help. On the day of my brother's memorial service there was a large church filled with people who would have done anything to save his life.  I am sure there is someone in your life who would do anything to save yours. You are loved even if you don't feel like it, or the people around you are making it impossible to believe at the moment. You are important and there would be a big, ugly hole in the world without  you. Keep holding on.

2 comments:

  1. "Give your son or daughter or sister a brother a hug today, just because they're alive." Such wisdom. Do you mind if I share this quote? It breaks my heart that you and so many others (including my own family) have lost loved ones to suicide, but I appreciate that you wrote about it so eloquently. Thanks for sharing, Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Faith...I've lost someone to suicide, and there are no words to express the loss. Thanks for being so open and transparent and sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required