Friday, June 3, 2011

Baby name thoughts and ramblings

The hubs and I finally had a great conversation about our new little guy's name... he could be here in anywhere from two to eight weeks and he still doesn't have a name (reminds me of that clip from VeggieTales... forward to 4:10) Daniel suggested Eli Chase... isn't that a dreamy name?! But those are both names of TV characters (Eli from "Lie to Me" and Chase from "House") lame.

lame lame lame lame lame.

Why can't we figure out a better name for this sweet baby?!

I accidentally called him Eli the other night, instead of "the new little guy" or "your little brother" like I usually do... it felt weird and I just about freaked out - what if we have this baby and I just can't call him Eli? We don't have a back-up name. We don't even have a full name!! WE just have a lot of half-assed ideas and are really hoping that something will just jump out at us - like it did before...

In the hospital after the delivery - November 2001
Elisabeth Ann
The conversation the hubs and I had about what to name our oldest took about five minutes. I'd had my whole life up to that point to think about it and I knew that I wanted my daughter's name to be Beth.  I adored the character Beth in Little Women and wanted to name my daughter after the mild, caring girl in that book. My Beth has turned out to be more of a Beth Moore than a Beth March, but I still love the name. Her name is actually Elisabeth - spelled with an "s" instead of a "z" just like Daniel's sister :)

Her middle name was easy - Ann is my middle name and the middle name of a lot of the women on my mom's side of the family. I have at least an aunt, a great-aunt and a second-cousin with the middle name of Ann... I knew I wanted to follow in that tradition as well.

Summer 2003
Emily Alyssa
Our second child took a little more discussion. We were originally going to name her Alyssa - a favorite name of Daniel's but when the ultrasound technician said "it's a girl" I kind of freaked out. I remember sitting there in the waiting room and turning to Daniel and saying "I'm sorry - I just can't name her Alyssa"

Summer 2003
Summer 2003
Up to that point I'd never met an Alyssa and I wasn't sure just how unusual that name really was... so we came up with a compromise. I'd been lobbying for naming her Emma for awhile. The hubs thought it was way too old-fashioned but I'd seen the name on an episode of Friends while I was flipping channels and knew that people wouldn't think of it as old-fashioned any more. So we named her Emily... which is handy since we know like a million other little girls named Emma but we call her Emma at least 50% of the time. And we gave her the middle name of Alyssa - which she loves.

08-09-05
Daniel and Katie-Abigail
Our third child was a little bit more difficult. We went around and around and around with names... I was going through a phase where I was leaning towards more unusual names every single one of them got the stink-eye from Daniel. The only name we came even close to agreeing on was Katie.
Katie-Abigail's Birth
Katie-Abigail Elise
But we had a big problem with that name... another family at our church had twins name Emma & Katie and they were in Beth's class and in our small group. It seemed like it would be way too confusing to have two sets of sisters with the same names. Then I realized that I had several friends who'd given their kids double-barreled first names and a common name became a more uncommon one. So we decided to name her Katie-Abigail (after my little sister Abi). Her middle name is the same as my husband's foster-sister and I just adore it!
DSCF4210
Beth, Emma & Katie-Abigail
The funny thing about Katie-Abigail's name is that we thought she would be a boy. The ultrasound technician told us he was 70% certain that we were having a boy so we had boy clothes hanging up, we'd told all our friends we were having a boy, but I tucked a little pink onesie into the bottom of the diaper bag "just in case" and I told my husband "well, at least if this baby turns out to be a girl she'll have a fabulous name" I'm so glad we went through the trouble of picking out both a boys name and a girls name!

The Raider chicks with our new little man
Beth, Katie-Abigail, Josiah & Emma

There was no doubt with our little man that we were having a boy. I loved the name Jane Adelaide but  I got nothing but "you're kidding, right?" from our friends. We'd picked out the name Josiah from the very beginning. Beth would have been Josiah David if she'd been a boy and we just carried the name through to the other kids. Katie-Abigail would have been Josiah Martyn but Daniel kept saying "Martyn" with a brittish accent and totally killed the name for me. So with Josiah I said "we're picking a new middle name" and we listened for something that we both really loved. I prayed about it a lot too. I wanted his middle name to be more artistic and soft since his first name is royal and strong. Then I bought the debut CD for Leeland and fell in love with that name... and so we got Josiah's name which I really love.

Josiah & Daddy 9/20/07
Daniel with Josiah Leeland

So that's the story of my other kids names...

We're still waiting to find a name that we love as much as we love our other children's names but haven't heard it yet. So if you'd like to make a suggestion - we're all ears! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required