Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happiness is a banana cream pie

Despite the crazy thunderstorm last night that woke my kids up in the middle of the night and had them sleeping in my bed (however considering all of the devastation of this recent string of storms I'm thankful that life can carry on as usual today and I'm thankful that the storm came after my daughter's trip to the zoo.)

I think I've been smiling all day...

Okay,  maybe not all day. Not when my little man was pitching a full-out laying-on-the-ground-crying fit at McDonalds, and not when my kids were all talking to me at the same time in the dollar isle at Target, but otherwise -  from sitting with my little man this morning drinking hot tea and listening to the rain to the sunshine that's pouring through my windows right now - it's been a great day.

I got a cookbook at the Library today by Tyler Florence and I sat in McDonald's sipping iced tea while my little man played and read it from cover to cover.  I especially love reading the introduction to cookbooks - you know, all those words at the beginning that you usually just skip over to get to the good stuff?  I love that part.  And this one was particularly good.  I also love the beautiful photography of this cookbook. I may only try one recipe but I'll enjoy looking through this cookbook all week, dreaming of cornish hens, scallops and creamy shrimp soup - but cooking mac and cheese. I mean seriously - how yummy does this shrimp-stuffed avocado look? I think I'd make it with chicken though...

286487723
{source}
I was also able to get some adorable invitations for my daughter's birthday that is coming up. We are going to invite a couple girls from her class at school to come over and decorate cupcakes. How fun does that sound?! I've been to so many stores looking for something colorful and cute and something that she'd like. These were crazy inexpensive and I was able to also get a few cupcake decorating items from the on-sale Easter isle which I'm very pleased about.

invitations for Emma's party

When we came home I took some photos of my kids while they were eating their snack and I had one of those "this is why I got a new camera!!" moments. Getting good photos of my kids indoors is always super-challenging for me - my kids move so quickly and are generally either uncooperative or stick silly smirks on their faces when I get the camera out (thus my love for food photography - it doesn't talk back) so needless to say I'm really pleased.

DSC_0468DSC_0464
DSC_0448DSC_0452
DSC_0430DSC_0436
DSC_0432DSC_0429

And just because the title of this blog post has to do with banana cream pie - here's a photo of the one I made this afternoon...

DSC_0540
The hubs and I loved this so much on Easter that I just had to make it again!!!


Reading cookbooks is one way I re-charge my creative batteries... what about you? What do you do that makes you smile and feel inspired again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required