Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Photographing muffins: a demonstration of Aperture and Shutter

DSC_2880
Nikon D80 f/3.5 1/15sec ISO200 18mm focal length

To get this bright look I set my aperture for as wide as my lens would allow and set a pretty normal shutter speed for these conditions (so my iso was also low) but I wanted the background to be little bit more blurred so I zoomed my lens in a bit, which gave me teriffic bokeh but a a slightly darker image

DSC_2889
Nikon D80 f/5.6 1/10  ISO200 50mm focal length

This is easily fixed in photoshop... or if I'd had a little more time to play with it I would have raised my ISO a smidge. Notice that the aperture has changed from 3.5 to 5.6 - this happens automatically with my kit 18-55mm lens when I zoom in.

My little man came along and wanted a muffin...
DSC_2910
Nikon D80 f/3.5 1/10 ISO200 18mm

So I tried to take a photo of him with a muffin, but my shutter was way too slow - perfect for photographing a muffin, not right for photographing the boy.
DSC_2912
Nikon D80 f/3.5 1/10 ISO200

So I raised my ISO and sped up my shutter to get a much better image of little man in the kitchen.
DSC_2950
Nikon D80 f/5.6 1/30 ISO1000 18mm

He's just so cute!
DSC_2958
Nikon D80 f/5.6 1/30 ISO1000 18mm

So there you have it - I hope that this mini tutorial is a helpful illustration of how to use your camera settings!!

5 comments:

  1. More yummy muffins! Ahhhhhhh...
    ~Naila Moon

    http://imaphotographicgenius.blogspot.com/2011/01/3655-wordless-wed.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I've increased my ISO while lowering the aperture to compensate for low light situations (when I don't want to use a flash), I've never intentionally increased it while working with shutter speed.

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CANNOT wait for the upcoming class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're little man is beyond adorable!♥
    I loved the lesson on aperture and shutter speed, shall definitely be playing around with these settings soon.
    -Aya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, I can't wait to take your class! xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required