Saturday, October 2, 2010

A bit of weekend Randomness

Fall is officially here in Augusta. The road side fruit stands have for the most part packed up and gone home and the parking lot by the bank is full of pumpkins and mums for sale. The weather, for once, is cooperating and it has been delightfully cool these past few days, which in the Raider home means two wonderful things - it means that my bread-maker will once again take up permanent residence on my kitchen counter top to make rolls and occasionally bread, and also that we will be eating a lot of soup.

DSC_0759

I used to think soup was one of the lesser food-groups, but that was until I learned to make it from scratch. I love making tomato soup and potato soup, I am going to try some new recipes. My kids love my soup, at least sometimes they do. They always love the rolls and that is pretty inexpensive to make. I was frustrated making both of these foods at first - then I got a good recipe that we all like and I make the same one over and over with slight variations.

DSC_0756

The arrival of fall also means that I finally got into the mood for cleaning - and we spent all day cleaning out the kids rooms. I have a love/hate relationship with these cleaning days. For one thing I love finding all of the socks that have been misplaced, but I usually end up getting frustrated that I still have not worked in good tidying times into our family routine. We just end up doing one major all-day long overhaul after I've grown thoroughly exasperated with picking my way through their rooms and stepping on little pieces of things.

Since we had everything tidied up anyway I decided to go ahead and make the switcheroo that my kids have been begging for. That's right - the kids switched rooms. Since Josiah's birth he and my oldest Beth have shared a room. It just made more sense for us at the time to have the oldest and youngest sleep together with the middle ones sharing the other room. But things have changed a bit as Emma (the next oldest) is getting older. She can read independently now and during the long summer evenings, when her room was light until nearly nine o'clock, she got into the habit of calming herself down for the night by reading. Now the sun is setting earlier and she is wanting to keep her light on, which isn't good for Katie-Abigail, who needs her sleep. So now Beth and Emma can stay up together reading a little later than the littler ones. I can barely believe that I am at this stage of life - with two little girls staying up until nine o'clock reading in their beds. (sigh) oh how the time has flown by!

In between helping the girls clean up their messy bedrooms and cleaning up my own mess in the kitchen I popped in to The Pioneer Woman to see the latest group from her photo assignment. I'm telling you, she always picks such awesome photos! It's inspiring to look through them.

7 comments:

  1. Those rolls look really good!

    I love checking out the pioneer woman photo contests, you're right she always has such fabulous choices, I've no idea how she manages to choose a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about those ALL DAY CLEAN-OUT events! Need to do several days worth on my craft/fabric stash and get it all out of the bonus room!
    Those rolls do look so good I can almost smell them! But Dad is avoiding breads so... no baking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just about smell those rolls... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment on my blog. To answer your question, I am taking a class taught by a professional photographer at our local university. I enjoy your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on the cleaning...it feels so good once you're done, but (at least in my house) if you blink or turn away for more than 5 minutes, it's back to the same icky mess that took you 4 hours to clean! :) Oh, and those rolls look delish!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required