Thursday, September 16, 2010

Before & After at Pixel Perfect: Epic Fail - UPDATED!

UPDATE: Thanks so much to Ashley she gave me some great advice, I found everythingI needed to know at Coffee Shop. I downloaded some free Actions from Paint the Moon and once I finally got them installed had so much fun playing round with the levels!
Delight plus Vanilla Pop adjust levels plus watermark
Here's one of the shots I ended up with, I think it's maybe over-edited. The actions I used were "Delight" + "Vanilla Pop" I also modified the light levels.




DSC_9694
BEFORE

This week I don't really have a fabulous edit to share - not by a long shot. This week is more of a confession :

I don't know how to use photoshop.

 

This is the photo editing program I've been using for the last five years. It's called Microsoft Paint Shop Pro It's like trying to write a college essay on that learning-to-write wide-with-the-dotted-line paper. I can't use actions or anything in this progam. For my birthday Daniel bought me a Bamboo touch pad & pen and it came with adobe elements 7 - yay!


However I just spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to install an action with no sucess. I hate this! Can anyone help me? I mean, how hard can it be to just install an action?

Apparently - very.

DSC_9694 4
So this is my "After" that I did in Paint Shop - because I couldn't figure out photoshop elements. I really want to re-edit it and ad some warmth and lighten those bright spots - but I honestly could not figure out how to do it!

Any suggestions?

BTW- this was photographed by my eight year old daughter Beth, with some help from mommy :)

Linking up with Monica at Pixel Perfect her edits are always wonderful!!

21 comments:

  1. Oh gosh.....I'm not sure what a Bamboo touch pad is (not-so-techno), but for my MacBook I googled how to add an action....and it totally helped!!! For me it's in my Application Support / Adobe / Photoshop Elements / 8.0 /Locale / en_US / Workflow panels / Actions. Maybe that'll help???? Good luck & have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that, I don't have the "workflow panels" folder. hmmmmm.
    thanks though for the suggestion though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you didn't use PS. I know that I've used coffeeshop photography's instructions on downloading actions but I may need to write my own. I think Pioneer Woman also has some instructions. I'll look around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me years to master Photoshop CS, LOL. So don't feel bad :-) I personally think Elements is more confusing than CS, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, great job, Beth!!! :D

    The actions... Well, you know me. I'm new at everything and I'm not sure if I can explain it (as I just learned a couple of weeks ago myself). But if you're like me, maybe you've actually managed to install them but can't see them because the action window isn't open? Just a thought... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a beautiful shot. I use Gimp...so I am of no help whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... wish I could help!! I'm a Photoshop user and always have been so I'm totally clueless when it comes to other programs and installing actions! I hope you can figure it out! If you do have photoshop, though, you should totally use it!! It's a photographers DREAM. Actions are simple and easy to use in PS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Ashley that did the trick! Turns out the file I needed was hidden. I'm so very happy now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use elements 8 and downloaded some coffeeshop actions (and followed her instructions) a couple weeks ago. Worked great! (My favorite is the creamy chocolate black and white). I then tried installing some of pioneer woman's and could not get them to install. I don't know what the problem was, I followed her instructions, but they would never show up in my effects. Which ones did you install?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The edit is kinda cool- I like the desaturated look sometimes. :)
    I downloaded a free trial of PS C5 last month and it is confusing. Hope you figure it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be VERY frustrating learning PS...I'm glad you were given the info you needed! And your daughter did a fab job taking your pic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just wanted to let you know that I presented you with a blog award. Please come check it out at:

    http://livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a video link on my blog that I had to watch like 5 times and then I finally got it. It's a little tricky to download them. http://weloveiowa.blogspot.com/2010/09/before-after-actions.html

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know how to use photoshop either, mostly because it just confuses the heck out of me. Great picture from your 8 year old though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very nice edit! There's nothing wrong with Paint Shop Pro.

    These instructions might help:

    http://www.texaschicksblogsandpics.com/photography-page/installing-actions-in-photoshop-elements/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been able to successfully install an action, either. I ended up taking an editing with elements class (offered at a community centre--cheap and not time intensive) and it was the best thing I did. It taught me the basics, and from there I learned enough to understand the tips I find online to do interesting things. Other helpful things I find are the online videos that show how to use elements. Just google elements tutorials and you'll find some great help.

    You have a great photo to work with there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you got it figured out. I love Elements!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see that your daughter is taking good advice from you, it's such a lovely capture

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish I could be of some help but I have no idea what to do either. :) Cute shot of you though. :0

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Paint shop pro! I use it for my scrap and edits, but because I love actions too I got myself PSE8. Now I'm switching between the both, desperately trying to learn PSE8. I hope you figured out how to install the actions, took me some time.
    Computer/compac(c:)/ProgramData/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/8.0/Photo Creations/Photo effects.
    This works for me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required