Saturday, March 27, 2010

DIY disaster!

My spray-painting job has hit a turn for the worse. At the worst possible moment! I went to add a second coat of paint and THIS is what happened!!!
Apparently I did the worst possible thing you can do when dealing with spray paint I touched it. I don't know what I was thinking! Yes, I can fix these sort of mistakes when I'm frosting a cake but that technique does NOT work when trying to spray paint a laminate dresser. So I started peeling spray paint to start over. ugh. NOT the easiest or most pleasant thing in the world. My quick fix-er up-er has now turned into a very frustrating pain in the... ahem you know what.
I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I am getting so frustrated with this dang dresser that I have half a mind to leave it beside the trashcan when we move. I honestly don't have a clue why the paint keeps bubbling up! Do you?

2 comments:

  1. in my experience, it's because you sprayed it too long in that one area... looks like that's what happened because of the drips. Is this something you can sand down and start over?! I could say get a paint brush and a can and do it that way- spray paint IS a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faith! I am so glad you stopped to see my painted lamps. I have been wondering about your spray paint problems. I have a couple ideas. It took me a lot of practice to get better at spray painting. My #1 piece of advice is to always keep the can moving while you are spraying. Never stop moving while you are spraying. As you spray slowly glide your arm in strokes.

    Make sure to clean the surface you are painting completely before starting. If you are painting laminate, it is a very good idea to sand down the surface and remove the dust with a tack cloth. This gives the paint something to adhere to. And make sure each coat is dry before applying another.

    Keep trying, your projects are awesome! I know you'll get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required