Monday, February 9, 2009

photography!!!!

Hiyas! I'm just bopping in while I take a break from editing photos. I'm still working on baby D's session (I photoshop almost all of my photos now to some degree or another) I had another photoshoot today doing headshots for a realtor friend of mine so I'm editing those. I've got a party to photograph tomorrow and another baby session on Thursday. What the heck is going on here? This is actually kind of turning into a job! And I love it! Of course I've got to figure out the whole business side of photography ick. When it comes to pricing photo sessions & prints I'm rather clueles. My husband says I underestimate myself. hmmmm.
I got some photocards today that I had printed from Moo the quality is absolutely fantastic. I am really pleased. I'd like to try to sell them but I really don't think I'll be able to make a profit. (sigh)
Okay, back to work now! :)

3 comments:

  1. If there is on thing I've learned in 6 years of business, it's that people will only pay what YOU think you are worth. The higher priced the session, the more quality and attention to detail people will expect. But say your job is relatively easy for you (Because if you're like me, you're extremely creative and its FUN, not just work) then you're having a blast, paying attention to details AND making profit WORTH your time, your salary, the use and wear/tear on your equipment, etc. There are SO many things to consider. Hang in there Faith, I think you're on to something! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josie,
    Thank you SO much! This is probably the most helpful comment I have ever recieved!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Its a tid-bit my Dad shared with me when I first started out. I went from charging $75 for my ads to charging $300 per full colored ad and people most certainly paid! When you're spending five hours on a task, but making almost as much as a 40 hr part time job than you're profit margin is HUGE. You take awesome photos and so long as you ACT like you know what you are doing, no one will be any wiser :) And remember, they NEED you. What you do, they dont feel they can do themselves. So while in your mind you are thinking "This is just to simple and fun for me to be charging SO much" they, on the other hand, think it is worth every penny. I charge a lot, but I also give a lot too! Freebies, extras, advise and future discounts. Then your client definately feels they spent every penny for a good reason.

    Now, in todays economy I dropped my prices by half, but you do what you got to do! Its easy and fun right? Then I'll do easy and fun for half the profit rather then not get to do it at all and make NO profit!

    Have a good day! :)

    Josie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required