Friday, November 7, 2008

a little bit of rambling

So, they put the Christmas tree up at Wal-Mart the other day and my first reaction was to panic - having no idea whatsoever as to what I'll do for my children in the way of Christmas presents. This is always a tricky spot for me. Last year Daniel and I divided our Christmas money and came up with a ridiculous amount of cheap presents. I took a picture of the heap of presents and promised myself that next year would be different. I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to Christmas, I want to give my child the gift that will be their favorite present of the season, one that they will cherish for a lifetime. The reality however is that there is absolutely no way to compete with the grandparents. So this year I've decided to just crochet them each a scarf. I get my sewing bag out, the one that my mom made for me when I was still a teen and that I will cherish forever, at night, usually while Daniel is watching some news. I finished Katie-Abigail's already and tried it out on her this morning while Beth & Emma were getting ready for School. That was totally the right move (sweet!) Beth and Emma were all over it saying "will you make one for me too? what color yarn did you buy for me? can you make mine really long?" I showed them the yarn but the rest is going to be a surprise. It was very satisfying to see them excited about their scarves.

This is the yarn I bought for (L-R) Emma, Beth & K-A
I am totally loving the feel of the yarn in my fingers and the rhythm of the crochet hook as I work. I'm not terribly good at crocheting and I almost never follow a pattern but it's really satisfying to look at Katie-Abigail showing off her bright scarf and think "I made that".

In other news, Josiah is getting to be more of a handful every day! His new favorite thing is to climb into the kitchen cupboards!! Usually while I'm cooking or washing dishes. He also tries to climb into the dishwasher regardless of if the dishes in it are clean or dirty.

Another favorite trick of his is to take the toilet paper and bring it into the kitchen, wasting a ton of it. So we keep a lot of doors closed now and the trash cans up high. Josiah was constantly knocking them over and scattering their contents all over the room. He also had started reaching into the kitchen trash can to grab scraps of food. Is that totally gross or what?! Josiah has finally started signing (yay!) he can sign eat, more, please and all-done. I'm super proud of him. I've been working with him pretty much since he was six months old with very little response. He's very verbal and is close to saying every word he can sign. He also loves to shriek. Especially in the car. Especially when we're in the car and I'm on the phone. You can forget about having a conversation at that point. He's an adorable and sweet little guy but super-stubborn he'll do the same thing over and over, even if he's being disciplined for it. I just keep reminding myself that this season is short and I try to treasure the baby-ness in him. He's still nursing, mostly just at naptime and bedtime. I still love those moments. He's such a joy!

click here for more pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required