Tuesday, April 1, 2008

please be polite

to myself, I mean.
I read this phrase in "eat pray love" about being "polite to yourself" and I thought it made such sense. I read it again today in this book I picked up from the Library called "Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out" it's a 30 day program of making healtheir, sustainable choices (rather than a regimen for overhauling your life) and she begins the program by writing "There's just one more thing I ask of you before you read further. When you decide to commit to doing the 30-Day Program, please also commit to being kind to yourself... I'm against making big resolutions because they always come loaded with guilt."

One of the first exercises is to write an e-mail to yourself, promising to be kind to yourself and so I thought that maybe it would be fun if I posted it here instead.

I, Faith, agree to be kind to myself through the month of following these suggestions. I agree to treat myself with the compassion and patience I would treat a close friend. I agree to drop the harsh criticism I put on myself when I look in the mirror or eat something bad for me or am not perfect at everything I do. For the next month I agree to act like I am my own best friend. Whenever I catch myself thinking mean thought about myself I agree to ask myself "would I sat that to my best friend?" I agree to not aim for perfect, but for balance.

There, now that I've got that out of the way I wanted to share another quote: "Making changes is an experiment, not an exact science. It's an art, not a how-to. You become the creator of your own journey to wellness when you listen to what you need. You become the artist of your own life when you discover the routines and rituals that reflect who you are and what you believe..."

I'm kind of excited to go through this book because I've really appreciated the few, simple changes I've made. I've tried to make positive choices (adding something - like my morning smoothie rather than prohibiting something) and I'm finding that each positive choice encourages more positive choices. Like being more responsible with my other meals and aiming for more fresh/raw/whole foods. For instance I've been having snack attacks and so instead of turning to chocolate (we ran out!) I ate some bite-sized prunes. (so sweet!) and instead of eating chips (the dog ate them all) I'm eating some chashews. WAY more fat but also lots more protein and minerals than chips. So anyway... I'm sure I'll have more to say about this - I always do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required