Monday, March 31, 2008

what is my why?

I am making a pizza. The kids are in bed, Daniel went to bed too, feeling feverish. So I am alone in the quiet of my kitchen finishing up the pizza I started, thinking about various conversations I had today. One of my friends, my dear friend, who I love very much, was sort of spazzing out today about an interest she's pursuing. It seemed to me like a source of stress for her. I thought how helpful it would be for her to be more centered, you know, to know what is the main thing her life and what are the details. And that led me to this question - what is the main thing in my life? And I wondered if I could answer my own question.
It's funny because the answer came in moments - yes! Yes, I do know what the main thing in my life is. I do know why I'm here and what I'm doing right now. I'm raising my children. That is what I'm doing. I'm raising leaders for their generation, I'm raising four amazing people who (all too soon) will become adults and (by the grace of God) will make this world a better place. I'm raising children who will one day contribute in unique and positive ways to the society in which we live. That seems like a really great job to me. Very big. Big enough for me, anyway. Big enough to fill my life, big enough to make the details seem really small.
That was a really encouraging thought for me, it sort of puts my life in perspective a bit. Hope it helps you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required