Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday rest

widow


I've got pizza dough rising in my bread maker, the girls are munching on (and making a mess of) a bag of popcorn. I just popped a batch of sugar cookies into the oven and started a pot of coffee so now I'm sitting down to write what's on my mind: I enjoy Sundays!

This is quite a recent development, Sundays used to be awkward, ill-fitting and negative, a list of rules and a load of guilt - guilty if we ate out, guilty if I watched a movie with Daniel. But as I'm learning about grace and as I'm learning the Father's heart for me I am learning to rest.

I look forward to the meetings on Sunday morning - it's like a big fat buffet for my soul - and I go because I want to go not because I feel like I have to go. And after lunch (which is more often at MacDonalds than not) I sit in my chair and read a book (currently I'm reading "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World") or I read my Bible and journal while Josiah sleeps. And I sit in that chair and doze for awhile 'til the girls get up. My Sundays are days of rest for my body and food for my soul.

Rob preached at church today about feeding on the word. He is not the most brilliant or captivating speaker but his heart for God and for God's people is brilliant and captivating and very very encouraging. I love how he encouraged us today to spend time in God's word because we love God, not because we are trying to be a good Christian.

I've struggled for my whole Christian life with "the disciplines". I've never had totally consistant quiet times or kept up with a prayer list. I've recently come to see this is a strange but very real grace. Sundays have become the same sort of thing now. I don't always get the day or rest I want on a Sunday and I certainly don't keep any sort of list of rules.

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (Matthew 11:28-30 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!

Sign up to be notified about upcoming classes!!

* indicates required